Inspirational Message:

Did Gary Coleman die of a regular stroke or a diff'rent stroke?

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Weekend Report - 03.28.2010


It has been a fun wknd. On Friday I got some work done and signed up for the classes I am taking this semester. That night my friend Analia invited me to a birthday dinner for one of her friends. It was a little bit of an older crowd - most of them in their thirties. Of course we ate a lot of beef and went through several bottles of wine. Beef is a staple here in Argentina, and you eat a lot of it wherever you go.

After dinner, we went to a salsa bar called Cuba Mía. This place was great. When we arrived around 1 a.m. there were all these couples dancing salsa. These folks really knew how to dance, so it was cool watching them. Apparently my friend Analia has taken some salsa classes, and she got out there a couple times. She was really, really good.

At around 2:30 they started playing more diverse music. There wasn't a D.J., but there was always someone up there singing and leading the music. I recorded some video with my cell phone, but I do not have the cable to connect the phone to my computer. So instead I have included the YouTube video above of one of the songs they sang. My ex-girlfriend had this song in her head for months after she came back from Cuba last year. Great song - listen to it! I also drank Fernet, which is definitely an acquired taste...

On Saturday, I spent most of the afternoon at my buddy Francisco's place. I have recorded a couple of my Arbitration classes, and Francisco offered to listen to them with me and help me with anything I didn't understand. Unfortunately, something went wrong with the recordings so that it plays in fast-forward mode. I ended up just hanging out over there for awhile - doing some reading and visiting with some of his friends and family that had come over to spend the afternoon.

Last night I met up with some of the other exchange students at a bar in Palermo called Sugar. The group was 70% Brazilian, 29% gringo, .5% from Spain, and .5% from Paraguay. Those figures are precise. At about 1 a.m. I went with 2 gringo girls and a paraguayan girl to a club called Crobar. There was supposed to be a U.S. indie-rock group called The Rapture playing there. I call them indie-rock, because I don't really know anything about them. I heard some songs on YouTube, but I am not really sure how to define "indie-rock". The club was completely packed with a couple thousand people - again a precise calculation. I met a girl from Colombia and talked with her for awhile, but I didn't kiss her. Probably should have.

I also randomly ran into this girl named Judy that I know from when I studied in Buenos Aires 5 years ago. I knew her through a girl I dated a little bit down here, but apparently they are no longer friends. That happens to me quite often - running into people from past times in random places. In Boston, I have run into 3 different people that studied with me in Argentina during undergrad study abroad. I have also run into 2 people in Boston that I had met previously in Panama. Anyway, by close to 4:00 a.m. The Rapture still had not come on, so I left.

Anyway, overall a great weekend! Now it is Sunday, and I am trying to motivate myself to get some school work done. The problem with these late night weekends in Buenos Aires is that on Sunday you have to try to jump back into a routine. Life can be so difficult sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment